Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Sunday 22 November 2009

Eventpost 47 - BMCA Championship round 3 - Old Mine, Kinlet




With no bike to ride, I faced the prospect of missing this week's championship round until Alan Nicklin stepped in with an offer of lending his Greeves late last week - of course I jumped at the opportunity as I have ridden it before and know that it rides really well.

Today's trial was a mix of streams and banks that had seen some serious rain over the last week but as the ground used to be a mining area the majority of the banks consisted of a mix of mud and shale so held up quite well and remained quite grippy.

I had an odd start to the trial as there was a lot of debate about the correct route at the start of section 1. One or two riders took a route that looked to be incorrect but the observer gave them cleans so I had planned to do the same and as I went into the section other riders told me to go the other way which I hadn't looked at. I ended up stalling going down the bank and after debate with the observer about the correct route, she fortunately allowed me a re-run and I rode away with a thankful clean.

The first lap went well for the loss of only 1 mark, however the bike was not running well and refused to rev out cleanly even after a change of plug. Alan advised that he'd changed the carb before the trial so I can only assume that this was the cause as it normally runs so well.

The second lap wasn't too bad (a further 5 marks) and I was on 6 at the half way point which I was quite satisfied with, however the bike was deteriorating rapidly and was bogging under power and running very lumpy.

Where I had been able to ride steadily on low throttle early in the trial, this was no longer possible as the muddy banks got worse coming out of the streams and I needed more clean power available. The result was that more marks slipped away, specifically section 7 which was an undercut root out of the stream and a steep bank and I struggled with a couple of 3's just to get through.

A number of other marks were lost in similar circumstances which was a bit of a shame as it all started so well, however I think my final score will have been something like 25 - 27 marks. Not the end of the world, but after the strong 1st lap I felt that I should have been on something more like 10 marks less.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trial and even with the bike not performing like I know it can, I owe Alan a big debt for the loan and the opportunity to score a few championship points!


Results just in.........It appears that although the observer gave me a re-ride on section 1, she didn't change the score and gave me the 5 anyway... Not that the result would have changed anything as I would have still been 4th in my class and scored the same championship points.

Experts Up to 350cc
1. Dave Wood 12
2. Alan Nicklin 12
3. Mick Parkes 21
4. Dave Dawson 28
5. Gary Hawkins 28
6. Keith Gardner 31

Experts Over 350cc
1. Steve Thompson 25
2. Jim Pickering 49
3. Arthur Browning 42
4. Pete Reed 52
5. Bob Greenhough 62

No comments: