Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 12 April 2010

Beezerpost 35






As you can tell from the recent results, I am very happy with the bike and now I am tinkering to adjust and amend the fine detail to resolve the small niggles that you get from any bike after a few rides.

The first one is the position of the carb. When I fitted the DelOrto carb it had a nice alloy carb manifold stub that allowed me to fit the carb with a piece of hose, however on the first ride it became clear that the carb was sticking out a little to the side of the bike and was catching on my leg in sections, so much so that I knocked it off in one section and also any mud that was thrown up from the back wheel (especially with a broken rear mudguard) hit me on the backside and then dropped down onto the air filter. (see the picture above to see how much it stuck out and also how much muck got onto the air filter after the trial).

The solution was to make a manifold stub with a slight crank in it which points the carb backwards parallel with the frame and tucks it away out of the way of my leg. It now works fine...

The second mod, done today, was the handlebar clamps. I had pulled the fork legs through the yokes by about 1 inch to improve the steering and in order to achieve this I needed to put a spacer under the bar clamps to allow the bars to be above the fork legs. This worked great, however it made the bars a little too high and also with the long bolts and 2 sets of spacers the whole lot creaked under load and gave me a feeling that something was about to snap.

I read about some new S3 clamps that modern bikes use to lift the bars but also allowed for multiple adjustment forwards and backwards. I have now put a set of these on coupled with a pair of Fatbars which are slightly lower rise and combined have achieved the goal of making things more stable whilst lowering the bar height slightly (see pics above)

No comments: