Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Saturday 10 November 2007

Eventpost 17 - Classic Experts Trial Rhayader

I nearly rode the Classic Experts Trial today. Got entered, turned up, kit on, started bike all OK then it stopped and that was it....... Spectator for the day!!!

For some reason we think the electronic ignition has broken down for a second time and after checking the ignition, flywheel etc etc etc it just would not start.

As this is the 2nd ignition system I have had on the bike from Simon Bateman at Nametab I fear that we will now have to give up and look at alternatives as reliability seems poor and a few more days like today with 18 quid entry and petrol for car and bike it is going to be a costly exercise unless it gets resolved soon.

I am thinking Rex Gaunt or PVL systems unless anyone advises something else. Will ask around and keep the BLOG updated with progress..

6 comments:

minislim said...

dave, i realised that it was you after you told me i'd rode the wrong way in section 8. i was on the sprite with the green tank. i saw the bike on the back of the car. so it was the ignition that was playing up? i'm running one of the development igitions off clive tomkison of norton villiers. it seems to be reliable at the momment. i'll keep you posted on the progress.
Joel brayford

Dave Dawson said...

Joel – thanks for the info

I really don’t know which way to go on this one. I have spent a lot to get the bike just how I want it and to be let down twice now by faulty ignitions is really Pi*****ing me off.

I have spoken to Clive previously but I hadn’t heard of anyone that was using one except Clive until now.

I have been advised on a different one by everyone that has an opinion (Chris Cascoigne – Motoplat, Alan Whitton – PVL, Carl Winstanley – Rex Caunt, Alan Nicklin – Nametab, Clive – Little Demon) each one swears by the one that they run so as you can imagine it is difficult to know who to believe.

When it’s working the Bateman (Nametab) one is good and I like the way that the engine works but you cant have reliability issues that cost as much as my fruitless trip to Wales on Saturday, can you ???

Please keep me updated on how it performs

Glad you read the BLOG – keep your eye out for the next set of pics of the Sprite….. The tank is away having a paint job by Piers Dowell at the moment so it will look a bit different in about 2 weeks time.

Till then we will have to get the Fantic finished so at least I will have something to ride

All the best

Dave

minislim said...

i know what you mean, there are so many out there to choose from. i stuck with points till just after the nostalgia trial when my old ignition packed in completely. by then clive seemed to have sorted all the little problems out.
i've got a second sprite project on the way but that has't been started yet.
Dads got another james to build yet. he's the only rider who constantly rides his 360 james (a motorcross motors barrel off John Burns) dad actually used to work with john at motorcross motors and its the same barrel he used to use back when he scrambled for dots a long time ago.

Dave Dawson said...

Funny enough, I originally owned this sprite about 10 -11yrs ago and it originally had a motocross motors 360cc conversion - if you follow the Sprite threads back on this BLOG you will see that we tried to keep it that way but couldnt get it to run very well so went back to 250cc.

I had the ignition tested by Simon Bateman and the sender unit had failed again. It has been replaced for a new one and Dad tells me that when he rebuilt it there was a massive spark so lets hope all goes well with it and I was just unlucky. I think I will give it one more go and see how it holds up.

I was discussing this with Alan Nicklin tonight and he has had the same Bateman ignition on his bike for 3 yrs now without missing a beat.

Are you doing anything special with the new Sprite project? you will have to send me some photos and I will post them on here!

Bully said...

Hi Dave,
I bet you were gutted war ya bloke. All i can say with my limited knowledge is that the bad luck comes to an end and somewhere down the line you forget all of these niggles and start to trully enjoy the fruits of all the hard work and money.
But what, with your dodgy knees and the bloody ignition problems it really hasn't been the grand start to the winter season i'm sure you were hoping for on such a well put together bike.
See ya soon,
Bully

Dave Dawson said...

Thanks Bully - it's got to end soon and we can have a run of good trials and hopefully a few decent results thrown in there too!!!