Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Sunday 29 August 2010

Eventpost 64 - Stroud Valley MC Minchinhampton Cup Trial







Today there was little on for classic bikes so we decided to take a trip down to Stroud to the SVMC Trial at Eastcombe.

The trial was mainly for modern bikes but there was a pretty good contingent of pre65 and twinshock bikes in there too.

Not knowing what to expect, we entered on the A route even though the majority of pre65 bikes seemed to be riding the B route, however I think it was about right as the sections were challenging but not too difficult.

The sections were all within a wooded hillside with a mix of loose rocks, exposed roots and a few rocky gullies thrown in.

As the weather was forecast to change to rain we decided to get a move on and rode round at the front of the field (nothing new there for me anyway) which made the first lap challenging but in fact some of the roots became quire slippery and the sections got harder so it may have actually paid off for a change.

I rode the first lap for clean followed by 6 on the second lap which included a soft 2 on a slippery camber and a much needed 3 on the exit of a section at the top of a rocky gully where a left turn up a slippery root followed by a cambered turn caught me out. The 3rd lap was a little better for 4 or 5 marks (depending on the leniency of the observer).

I am pretty happy with how I rode today as I saw plenty of young riders on modern machinery losing marks where I was clean and the bike again went like a dream.

Steve Thompson was at the trial deciding which bike to take to the Isle of Man next weekend so he rode half of the trial on his Ariel and the other half on the BSA, however I don't think he's any closer to a decision yet but I would expect the Ariel to be in the van next week as he was still having carburation issues with the BSA today.

I will post results when I get them but the photos today are courtesy of Heath Brindley (check out his website - http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/), there are a couple of Steve Thompson on his Ariel, some of me and one of Martyn Wilmore on his Yamaha.

Results just posted on the SVMC website - very efficient indeed (as was the running of the event)and of course I am very pleased with the result! The results were listed in finishing order rather than by specific class so I have listed the same way;

Results - Standard route

1. Tim Wheeler (250 Scorpa) 5
2. Dave Dawson (250 BSA) 11
3. Nathan Pekala (250 Beta) 11
4. Adrian Steele (300 Gas Gas) 13
5. Martyn Wilmore (250 Yamaha T/S) 19
6. Andy Ridley (300 gas gas) 20
7. Rob Faulkner (175 Yamaha T/S) 20
8. Paul Heron (300 Beta) 22
9. Dai Clothier (300 Beta) 27
10. Andy Perry (250 Beta) 28

32. Steve Thompson (Ariel/BSA) 65

No comments: