Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 16 August 2010

Eventpost 62 - Builth Wells


Yesterday I took my new VW Caddy and had a short trip across to Builth Wells for the latest round of the Sammy Miller Series.

Although I was riding No 46 I think that there was some tactical hanging back going on because after I had ridden the 1st couple of sections I found myself out on the road at the front of the field with Steve Thompson and following the Wiffen family round the trial, pretty much scrubbing the sections in for the rest of the field.

The trial was set out on the easy side and I am sure that there would have been plenty of finishers on clean or very low single figures to say the least.

That said, I had a really enjoyable ride round with some great countryside, good green lanes and plenty of off road sections between the sections and decent weather which made for an enjoyable ride round, however with the land available I think the trial could have been more challenging to separate the scores a little.

I actually lost 8 marks which was simply not good enough I'm afraid and the loss of two 3's due to making a hash of 2 sections on slippery rocks in the streams would have put me out of the running for a good final result, especially as both of the sections would have become pretty easy once a few bikes had gone through.

Still, I guess it is my own fault but I just don't like hanging around (think I get that from my Dad because as a kid I remember him always riding round at the front of the field!!)

Anyway, I can report that the van worked great and the bike fitted inside it perfectly (see photo) and I managed to get a few video clips on my phone on the way round. Attached are clips of Phil Wiffen and myself on a rocky stream (this was a double sub and you will see that just as my clip ends I cock it up and start footing!) the one of Steve Thompson on his Triumph Twin on a section in a small woodland area towards the end of the trial.

I will post results when I get them...

Results Just in....and as expected not really good enough - note to self - stop rushing round and ride at the back of the pack at these type of events!!!

Experts - 2 Stroke
1. Peter Gaunt 2
2. Glynn Moses 3
3. Russell Jones 4
4. Alan Wright 9

Experts - Unit Construction
1. Jon Souch 6
2. William Myers 8
3. Barry Stephens 8
4. Gerry Minshall 20
5. Steve Thompson 27

Experts - Brit Replicas/Pre Unit Construction
1. Martyn Wilmore 0
2. Duncan McDonald 1
3. Mick Grant 1
4. Anthony Macklen 5
5. Dave Dawson 8

No comments: