Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Sunday 9 May 2010

New Bike in the Workshop - Any Info Appreciated






A regular reader of the Blog (Richard Clark) contacted me last week and asked if the Dawson garage fancied a bit of work.

The story is that this bike was purchased by Vic Vaughan as it had a pair of magnesium forks that were produced by the BSA factory for it's supported riders in the 60's. Apparently Vic had bought his old motocross bike back and all it was missing was the magnesium forks. Apparently this bike had a pair of these special magnesium forks and he bought it for the forks alone.

Richard purchased the bike from Vic, minus the forks and put an Alan Witton front end on it (yokes, forks and front wheel).

The frame is apparently a Victor frame and the engine a C15 250cc engine. The frame has been pretty heavily modified and carries the oil in the top and front down tubes, plus there is a secondary small oil tank as part of the frame under the seat. It has a rather over engineered alloy box that sits under the seat that houses the air filter on one side and probably held a tool kit on the other side, however now the electrics are located there to keep them away from the elements.

It has been suggested to Richard that this may have been a BSA works bike and the frame actually a Victor replica made by BSA for their trials supported riders.

Does anyone have any info that might help identify where the bike came from and who might have ridden it in the past??? Please drop me an email to davedawson444@btinternet.com or leave a comment on this post.

Dad has been asked to give the bike a tidy up so it is currently stripped down with the frame at the powder coaters and next week he will start a rebuild that will essentially just clean it up, repair anything that is not right and give Richard a tidy bike that's ready to ride.

I will post a few pics of the build but please let me know if you have any info that will help identify any history about the bike

Thanks guys....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spoke to Dad on Monday this week, he was getting frame back Tuesday/ Wednesday. Has made foot rests and chain guard etc. Sounds fab.
Have you seem it ?
Richard