Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 19 May 2008

Eventpost 27 - Union Jack Trial (Sammy Miller Series)




Yesterday I rode the Ariel in its first trial and I must say that it performed perfectly all day. I think it was one of the best days trialling I have had in ages, the weather was good, the sections were sensible but not so easy that you didnt have to think about them and the new bike was so different after always riding lightweights it really was fun.

So, the result probably didnt reflect the fact that I was actually riding really well to be honest. I had a bit of a slip up in Saintbury on section 11 where I arrived still clean and at the exit to the section I got distracted by Colin Bullock's flashgun on his camera and lost the front end over a rocky step. Fortunately the observer gave me a re-run and I rode out for a dab which was OK considering it perhaps should have been 5 marks.

I got back in the groove after the lunch stop and started riding really well again, including a good ride to go through the 3 sections at Camp for clean. Section 20 at Bridges took me for 2 or 3 marks as I was one of the 1st through a big muddy bog. I am sure that there would have been a line with a solid bottom for the later runners but you cant hang around at every section just till it gets easy can you.
Anyway, all was going well until Dovedale where I lost one slack dab on a fairly easy section then went to a difficult section with a really steep slippery down hill entrance. I cleaned the section but the exit down a path in the woods that I didnt actually look at caught me out with a tree in the undergrowth which caught my front wheel and tipped me off for a silly 5 and doubled my score.

Well, I have to say I got mad with myself and rushed into the next section and as I selected 2nd for a steep climb I found that I was in neutral between 3rd and 4th and selected 4th instead and failed to make the climb - two 5's in two sections I am afraid so out of the running.

I put 1 more dab on the card so finished on 15 or 16 marks overall. I dont think there were enough hard sections to take marks from the top guys in the entry but happy enough to know that the 5 or 6 marks that I perhaps would have dropped, without the 5 minute lapse in Dovedale, would have put me in with a reasonable shout and I must remember that it was only the first time out on the bike so I have to feel positive about how it went.

Pictures today are from the sections in Saintbury.
Results
Class 2 (pre unit)
1. Martyn Wilmore 7
2. Mick Ash 9
3. Dave Dawson 16
Class 3 (2 stroke)
1. R Jones 2
2. M Chapman 6
3. C Gascoigne 6
Class 4 (unit)
1. Peter Gaunt 3
2. P Anstey 6
3. K Gardiner 11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that finger doing on an Ariel clutch ?? Richard.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.