Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 5 May 2008

Arielpost 7




Unlike many Ariel frames, we decided that an alternative approach to the footrest hangers would be to make plates that use 2 mouting points (the swinging arm spindle and the lower, rear engine bolt) to allow them to be removed if damaged rather than welding them direct to the frame.
These plates would then be able to be used to mount the rear brake pedal and also hold the chain tensioner and side stand too.
Patterns were made and then lazer cut from 6mm plate. Once the fittings are all in place we will then have the plates power coated so they look part of the frame too.
The pictures above show the footrest mounted on box section to position them out from the frame and ensure that the primary case and gear box do not get in the way of my feet when I am riding. It seems, from the bikes I have seen, that the footrests are often too far in and the rider has to ride bow legged to use the footrests and noy catch legs on the exhaust or primary case.
The rear brake pedal has been roughed out and the chain tensioner fitted. As you can see from the top picture, the front end is also now fitted with the yokes and forks fitted, lock stops made and the tank in place.
This week we hope to have the rear wheel built, and therefore the bike will be on it's wheels.
As I now do not have a Fantic I am hoping to give the Ariel it's first run out at the Sam Cooper trial in 2 weeks, it will be tight but you never know.

No comments: