Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Friday 12 January 2007

Cubpost 2




So, now you have seen how it started. I rode 3 trials back in July/August time and found that there were a few things wrong - it lacked power to pull my slender 16 1/2 stone frame, and after riding modern trials the suspension and brakes were certainly in need of attention.

After numerous calls and discussions, plus almost changing direction completely and trading the Cub for a James, I made contact with Alan Whitton (AW Race Engineering - Tel 01246 419805) who has helped to rejuvenate both my bike and my wallett (certainly the agreed budget that I had was soon passed). Parts that came off the bike and a scour through the garage for not needed items secured the extra funding thanks to ebay. Alan is an excellent engineer and has a great eye for detail that others often overlook so any work done is certainly worth any wait you might encounter as he works alone and the parts are in high demand.

The result saw the engine increase to 230cc, a PVL ignition and trials gears were fitted, various machining done to the engine to improve performance, reliability and use in trials. In addition a McDonald exhaust and some clutch mods were made to lighten the clutch action.That covered the engine department.....

Then we moved to the rest of the bike, new billet alloy yolks were fitted along with Betor forks inside Norton Roadholder lowers, new wheels were built into new alloy pattern Cub hubs with AW Racing brake plates, new seat and tank were fitted, small kickstart and billett alloy gear pedal finished off some of the cosmetic aspects of the bike.

As you can see, this has transformed the bike enormously. In the next 'Cubpost' I will show the latest pics of the bike with the final piece of the jigsaw (a McDonald swinging arm and subframe).
All that now remains is to get the engine running on a British Carb (either Amal or Villiers) so that it will truly meet any of the various regulations that exist in different areas that run classic trials.

No comments: