Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 29 March 2010

Eventpost 52 - Round 1 Sammy Miller Series - Widdecombe, Devon



Yesterday I went to the 1st round of the Sammy Miller series in Devon, run by the West of England Club.

The event started with a bit of organised chaos with the club deciding that as wet weather was forecast the start times would not apply and riders could just start when they wanted. This sounded like a good idea, however all it really meant was that riders were not riding at the same time as others in the same class on sections that were worsening and those of us that were not aware of what was happening ended up towards the back of the field sitting in queues until things sorted themselves out.

The sections were sensible, if a little on the easy side but rode well and clearly the event would be won on fairly few marks.

Most of the sections were marked in rocky hillsides and a few streams thrown in for good measure and there was not too much roadwork so it was a good day out.

I rode fairly steadily although I lost far too many soft single marks through a lack of concentration. Although most of the sections were cleanable I would have felt a good ride would have resulted in a single figure score, yet my slack marks resulted in a loss of 15 marks...I think!

It was a bit of a wet and uncomfortable ride round though.... I would like to have a story about a difficult section that I looped out on and broke my rear mudguard but nothing so dramatic I'm afraid, instead I parked next to Steve Thompson's bike whilst looking at sections in the 3rd group of the day and when he stood his own bike up it knocked mine over and snapped the rear mudguard off leaving me with a soggy backside for the rest of the day - thanks Steve!

I have just seen the results and will have to drop the organisers an email as there is a bit of an error!

I had entered in the new British Replica class and when I got to sign on I found that I had been placed in the Unit class. I told the organiser that this was not correct and they gave me another number in the Replica's class. The results have been posted on their website today and I have actually been placed in the Twinshock field.

I am making the assumption that this will be adjusted so I have finished 2nd behind Martyn Wilmore in the class and a number of marks have been added that I didn't lose, (certainly a 2 on section 1 and a 2 and 1 on sections 33 and 34 were all actually cleaned) however across the season I am sure that I will lose marks that observers do not see so no need to get too upset!

Results

2 Stroke
1. P Salt 5
2. P Gaunt 6
3. R Jones 13

Unit
1. G Hawkins 16 MC
2. J Souch 16
3. J Ashford 16

Brit Specials
1. M Wilmore 19
2. D Dawson 20
3. M Parry Norton 28

No action pics of the trial this week, but here are a shot of Gary Hawkins (winner of the unit class) and one of the bike when we got home (looking a little sorry for itself!)

No comments: