Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Sunday 14 March 2010

Eventpost 50 - BMCA Shatterford





Today was the 50th trial I have ridden since starting this BLOG back in Jan 2007 and quite a change of fortune from last week.

I felt last week that he bike was working well but the result was probably a little more down to me being a little ring rusty as I had only ridden twice since November and both occasions on bikes that belonged to other people. I spent an hour yesterday at the farm getting some practice on tight cambered turns to get used to the feel of the bike (not really one for practising but needs must!)

The only real concerns I had with the bike after last week's trial was that the front end felt like it was pushing a little on tight turns. I therefore felt that putting a bit more weight over the front would make it a little more planted. This week I tried dropping the yokes an inch down the forks to see what the difference would be. In order to achieve this I put some spacers under the handlebar clamps to allow the fork legs to come up through the yokes and also to keep the bars high in relation to everything else that had been lowered.

Well, it certainly worked! The trial today was in the woods of Shatterford near kidderminster and consisted of short steep banks, tight turns and cambered, rooty sections.

The going at Shatterford is usually quite slick and muddy however with the lack of rain over the last few weeks it was remarkably dry and grippy today so even though the sections were quite testing, the grip provided a close competition with scores pretty low.

I rode well with only one small mistake on section 8 on the first lap where I dropped too low on a cambered bank and needed a dab to get back on line. The rest of the trial went without any further mistakes and with a similar field to last week I was pleased with my first trial win on the BSA.

Results

Experts
1. Dave Dawson 1
2. Nathan Jones 3
3. Gary Hawkins 5
5. Ben Millichap 6
6. Jim Pickering 8
7. Laurence Alden 11
8. Alan Borton 12
9. Pete Reed 15
10. Arthur Browning 31
10=. Gerry Minshall 31

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, well done. Good things come to those who wait.
Now you have a bike that works, you need to keep it for a couple of years and fill the trophy cabinet.
Richard

Dave Dawson said...

Thanks Rich - only excuse now is the rider - no chance of reliability there then! hope you are well - Dave