Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Sunday 31 May 2009

Eventpost 38 - Zona 1 Trial, Birdlip Glos


Today I travelled south down the M5 to the Western Centre modern trial at Birdlip, Glos.

As we had not got an entry for the Reliance Trial (actually never got round to sending my entry in time), Steve Thompson and I decided that this was the nearest event to Worcester and would be a good run out before next weeks Sammy Miller National trial at Rhayader.

The trial was held in a quarry which looks like it is used for trials practice as there is plenty of evidence of previous sections and loads of scope for all levels of ability. The weather was bloody hot and the ground bone dry but that didnt stop the organisers actually finding the only bit of mud in Gloucestershire for one of the sections! The rest was run on the banks and rocks within the quarry and was actually a good little trial.

We rode the Clubman (alternative) route as the expert route had been marked for modern experts with a view to hopping and stopping so not really suited to pre65 bikes.

So to the event ..... To be honest I didn't really ride very well at all today. I just seemed to not be in control as much as I would like and the bike felt like it was getting away from me a little on some of the tight sections and far too many marks got away because I was just off line and not really where I should have been. I dont know whether it was just an off day, the heat was getting to my concentration levels or whether I am still getting used to the bike but what should have really been a low single figure score actually ended up closer to 20 marks - not terrible but not great all the same.

To make things worse I did actually clean every section at some point during the trial so my result was clearly more down to me than the severity of the event.

I did have chance to fettle the clutch on the bike though and after a bit of adjusting I finally got it working how I like it, which is good news. I am still suffering a little with the power not coming in clean when I open the throttle quickly, however it is very smooth off the bottom and I actually think it might be more down to me being a little heavy handed rather than some thing actually wrong - perhaps a bit of carb adjustment might help but so too would some practice to learn to ride it just as it is.

I will add the results when I get them but I think it might be a close thing between Steve Thompson (on my old Ariel) and myself yet both of us will probably be a bit down on Martyn Wilmore who was riding on his very modern looking B40 and didn't look to be losing many marks.

I am now looking forward to next week and a good road trial with some rocky streams in Mid Wales - will post an update next week.

Just found the results from Sunday and they were pretty much as expected - as Steve quite rightly said - he wins by virtue of the heavier bike with legal brakes!!!!

Pre 65 class (alt route)
1. M Wilmore 2
2. M Thornhill 11
3. D Dawson 18 (MC)
4. S Thompson 18

No comments: