Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 10 March 2008

General Update

Hi, Not much going on at the moment so I thought I would do a general update.

I have added some useful links that might help and a quick link into youtube, check out some of the skills in the out of section trailer. If this is what they get up to for fun then it's no wonder that the boundaries of what riders are expected to do in sections on modern bikes are being pushed to ridiculous levels.

It seems like the capability of the riders and the bikes nowadays are putting modern trials out of the reach of new people coming into the sport. Unless you start off in classic or twin shock type trials I guess that the sections alone could be enough to make your average beginner think twice about even starting.

Its good to see that some clubs are committed to putting on multi route trials that cater for all sorts of bikes and rider capabilities to just turn up and have a good days riding without getting hurt. Certainly the trial I rode on the fantic a couple of weeks ago was in this category and a great trial too! I understand the South Shropshire, Golden Valley and Cheltenham trials are done in a similar way so I guess we will be doing a few more away from the BMCA to get the Fantic out more regularly. I think that the BMCA could open their doors to twinshocks and really make a name for themselves as fantastic trials with large entries, but I think the Pre70 classic scene is where they see themselves and it works for them.

Anyway, the next trial for me will be the Red Marley trial on Easter Sunday beofre the Hill Climb on the Monday. I have a new Villiers 32a engine being built at the moment by Steve Gollings at Villiers Services with a PVL ignition ready for easter weekend so i am looking forward to giving it a try. It will be a standard engine with trials 2nd and 3rd gears and the new ignition, it has a full circls crank and will have a standard iron barrel. Once his focus on the Pre 65 Scottish is over, the engine will then go to Alan Nicklin for the same porting and mods that my current engine has had. It will be interesting to see how the two engines compare for performance, though the old engine is feeling a little tired and rattly just now, so it could possibly be time for a rebuild on that too.

I spoke to Bill Pye today and my Fantic engine should be rebuilt by the end of the week. I decided that as the engine was the only thing that we had not touched, and therefore didn't know what state of repair it was in. After the few problems on the first run out, I decided that best be on the safe side and have it completely rebuilt back to 'as new' state. It wasn't that bad as it turns out but was time for service and replacement of the usual bearings and seals etc so at least we will have that bike as good as new in the engine department as well as the chassis.

Last Saturday I helped with some of the sections for Red Marley and next Saturday will be a bit more of the same. There is some good ground up there but the challenge is making the sections hard enough to take marks from the top few and yet not too severe that the majority of the field would struggle and not enjoy the day out. As the last few years have seen the winner on only 2 or 3 marks we have to add a couple of real testers into the mix to split the top boys up though. I am sure that 2 or 3 sections that give them somthing to think about would also attract some more top riders to the event, however it's a shame that it falls at the same weekend as the Exmoor 3 day event.

I will update the BLOG when I have something to tell you about the engines on their return or the Red Marley trial.

Oh, by the way, My Dad has decided to kep the Majesty for himself and has sold his Fantic to make way for it. I will post a pic of the Majesty as soon as I have one, but after a play on it on Saturday I can tell you that it's really good fun and certainly not under powered in is standard 175cc form. It handles well and runs like a dream so I think he's got himself a good one!


See you later.....

No comments: