Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Monday 30 March 2009

Beezerpost 3




A few pics from today's progress. 

The clutch arm has been extended and a bracket made as a fixing point for the clutch cable to operate from.

A brake anchor made for the front wheel. 

The NJB Trickshox have arrived and been fitted and the rear frame loops have been cut off and some blanking plugs made to go into the frame - we plan to have a bracket that attaches to the two top shock mounts and holds the mudguard in place. 

2 comments:

Bully said...

Dave, your a true bounder and your old man is a saint. When are you ever going to find a bike that suits you? As far as a fully sorted Villiers engine goes, properly sorted for trials needs, £1500.00 sounds a bloody barguin to me. Al I will buy one off you any day of the week for that. I digress. So here you are on your 4th project in the 3 years i've known you plus a couple of modern bikes in between.
Seams to me as pure novice that when you run well the bikes are great and when your doing badly which i'm afraid to say is more often than not there is somthing either wrong with the type of bike your running or your knee injury? As an ex rugby player who as had both knees totally rebuiltalong with many others you ride with lets hope from now on in thats the end of that problem and just prey this naw bike is somthing that you feel you can start and finish a trial upon no matter how the scores are going for you, because after all said and done isn't that what the sports all about man and machine in a TRIAL to finish the course? I would love to have half your talent along with Ian Walters heart and determination, blimey your top riders would have to watch out then.
Love Bully

Dave Dawson said...

Bully you are absolutely right - with the exception of one thing, it is rarely the bike that fails to finish it is generally me!

With the exception of a few dodgy ignition systems the bike usually finishes the trial and works fine - in the right hands I am sure they would win every week!

My problem is partly that I am never satisfied with what I have got and always believe that there is something better out there, the thing is, it is only when you have got rid of it that you realise how good it was - in actual fact I should never have got rid of my Cub and all the others have been making up for that one!still we live and learn..

With regards to the knees - this is something that is different in everyone - for the first 10 years after the reconstruction it was tight and worked fine (5 years of trials riding with only 1 retirement because of it would suggest that it worked fine) however this time around is certainly no fun with it regularly popping out of joint - being about 4 stone over weight doesn't help either!! (no coincidence that it reflects the type of ride I am having - when you are riding well you don't put your feet down and there is less chance of knee problems - no brain science required for that one)

I do know, however, that we all ride for different reasons and our (yours and mine) reasons are certainly very different I am sure. Nothing to do with heart, determination, talent or even the challenge for me - I have enough of those things required in other aspects of my life. More an opportunity to get away from those things for a while on the odd sunday morning and get to spend some time with the 'saint' that you mentioned earlier.

It is nothing to do with trials though,I can take or leave that my friend, it could just as easily be golf or tiddly winks - like you and many other we ride with I have had success in other sports and do this for fun - if I am not enjoying it for whatever reason and decide to not finish then surely that is up to me, heart and determination is irrelevant when you cant walk up the stairs for a few days after the event - that takes all the fun out of it (for me anyway)!

As for the 'top riders' comment we need to put that into perspective - there are many that aspire to be as good as you and will never make it, I would love to be as good as Alan or Steve yet that wont happen, I am sure that they would still like to be able to win midland centre trials and really good midlands lads like Ross Danby would sell their soul to be as good as Tony Bou - we really only ever ride against ourselves in this sport and unfortunately we sometimes even lose that competition!

Dave