Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Wednesday 8 April 2009

Eventpost 35 - BMCA Ullenhall




















I gave the BSA it's debut on Sunday at Ullenhall. The event was a good test for a new bike with some good banks, very tight turns, cambers and roots - overall a good trial and quite a test. 

The good guys (Alan Nicklin and Steve Hay) made the result look like the trial was a lot easier than it actually was as both of them finished on clean, however on any bike I think a good ride for me would have been more like 10 marks so their rides were a bit special. 

Anyway, it was a good first test for the bike and gave us plenty to think about. I am, however enthusiastic that it will be a good bike once we have addressed a few of the issues - not many though when you consider it was it's first time out. 

- the steering needs some sorting - it tucks under on tight turns and doesnt feel too stable
- the front forks flex quite badly which adds to the strage steering characteristics of the bike
- the mounting points for the bash plate snapped when i grounded the bike on a particularly large root
- there is a strange grinding sensation from the rear of the bike (could be rear brake, chain or even gearbox - will need to investigate further
- rear shocks are too long (possibly adding to the steepness and feel of the steering) 
- Brakes are pretty poor - not sure whether this is just bedding in or whether something more drastic needs to be done to sort them out?)

So - back to the trial - well, I certainly learned a few things about the bike and the way to ride it and I expect that it will take many more events before I am comfortable with it and the way I need to ride it - just like learning all over again. 

During the trial I managed to have 3 5's through the engine doing the usual 4 stroke cough stop thing - mainly down to me experimenting with tickover speeds and also being undecided whether to use clutch or allow the engine to pull from tickover. 

I had one five through knocking myself off the bike when I banged my head on a tree (thank god I wear a helmet!), another trying to change gear in a section and finding a neutral, 2 more 5's because I simply couldnt stop at the bottom of a steep bank and a further 2 5's through my own choice of gears. 

This collection of 5's plus another 6 marks left a massive total of 51 which saw me propping up the entry on the hard route!

What did give me some heart was that the engine was really powerful and nice and sharp which is how I like my bikes. I did manage to clean every section of the trial at least once (except section 9 where my best was a 2) so I think that once I sort out the few niggles and get used to what the bike is capable of, it will be pretty competitive. 

It will go back to Dad's this weekfor a few bits and bobs and have a 2nd outing next weekend at Red Marley.  

No comments: