Classic Trials

Classic Trials

About Me

I have come into 2012 with a strong desire to be more healthy and reduce my weight to something more acceptable for a man of my age and height. On the 1st of Jan 2012 at the age of 45 and height of 6ft 2in, I weighed in at 18st 2lbs (that's 256 lbs or 116kg). I have a pretty large frame and have always been able to carry a bit of excess baggage but I think its time to do something about it for my health and energy levels more than anything else. The experts suggest that for a man of my height and age I should be about 13.5 st but I have set myself a target of 15 st (210lbs or 95kg) - thats a planned loss of around 3 st (46lbs or 20kg) This BLOG is a record of my attempt to achieve this goal and I have made it public to help keep me motivated and on track. If you have any comments, thoughts or ideas and suggestions please feel free to leave me a message..

Tuesday 15 May 2007

Eventpost 10 - High Whittaker Red Rose Classic

Sunday I rode at the Red Rose Classic Trial at High Whittaker, Padiham.

I can honestly say that this was one of the most enjoyable trials I have ridden for ages. The ground was fantastic with a mix of streams, rocks, roots and climbs. Though there has been some rain during the previous week it remained dry and the going was perfect on the day.

There were 15 sections and 4 laps laid out and the sections used the natural terrain well with planty of scope for different lines to be selected. With not a huge entry and 15 sections it meant that there was very little queuing and everything flowed well for a really good trial - well done to the organisers.

The bike ran well and I am getting more used to the technique required compared to the 4 stroke bike. I lost 2 silly marks with a wrong gear selected and a split pin coming off the rear brake arm and 2 marks that I needed, so a total of 4 for the day was the result.

I now have an enforced lay off with a knee operation curbing my trials activity for a few weeks so this trial was a good one to keep me motivated to get fit as soon as I can to get back on the bike.

Results
2Stroke
1. S Thomas 1
2. M Driffield 2
3. D Dawson 4
4. C Winstanley 11
5. P McCanna 13

Unit 4 stroke
1. J Maxwell 1
2. J Greenbank 7
3. T Dillon 9
4. D Harrison 9
5. E Boocock 16

Pre Unit 4 Stroke
1. M Cocking 4
2. C Benson 28

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the knee. Hope to see you back with more Sprite news before too long. Richard.

Anonymous said...

Dave, Hope all went well with the knee op. I wonder if you could do me a huge favor and run a tape over your Sprite.
I would like to get measurements for wheelbase, front wheel spindle to swingarm pivot spindle. Also length of rear shocks and length of front forks from spindle to top of yokes and the ground clearence you have without rider.
Many thanks in advance.
Richard.

Dave Dawson said...

Richard - thanks for the message. The knee is coming along fine and I should be back on a bike in a week or two.

The measurements you wanted are as follows; wheelbase - 51.5 inches, front forks 31 inches, ground clearance 12 inches. Sorry, I didnt get the frond wheel to swingarm pivot but the swingarm is standard so you should be able to work it out by subtracting the swingarm lenght from the wheelbase.

I am having the frame copied soon in T45 tube to lose some weight and have a jig built straight frame made so will be out on my cub for the next month or two - will keep any updates posted on the site.

Its about time you showed me some photos of your project!!

By the way have you seen the Sprite on ebay with a 405cc engine? Looks quite tidy

Dave

Anonymous said...

Dave, I have emailed a few photo's to you.

Anonymous said...

Dave, do you think your man would do a second frame kit ? I did try to ring last week, what overall length rear shocks do you have with those forks ?
Regards.
Richard.